Quinoa Risotto with Spinach and Parmesan
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
½ onion, fine dice
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water
½ cup carrots peeled and shredded
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup Parmesan, grated
Salt water to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Sauté onions in olive oil until tender, add quinoa, sauté two minutes more.
2. Add garlic and quinoa and cook for about 1 minute stirring, do not brown garlic.
3. Add stock or water, let simmer for 15 minutes or until grains have burst open (you will see little white threads in the water and the granules look clearer)
4. Stir in spinach, carrots, and mushrooms and simmer until the quinoa grains have turned from white to translucent.
5. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tip: if you use prepared stock from a can or box, don’t add salt. If you use water or your own salt free stock add a small amount, try ¼ teaspoon.